Dear Cherish Sponsors, Supporters and Friends,
The beginning of a calendar new year is an exciting time for our students in Meru. As the new school year begins, the donations which were sent at the end of 2011 are helping to pay fees, buy uniforms and take care of daily necessities. Your support makes a big difference in the lives of our students and their families.
In 2011, we added several new children to the sponsorship rolls and currently there are over 160 young people who are receiving assistance through the combined efforts of sponsors and the HOPE and CHERISH teams. We praise God for His faithfulness and the continued opportunity we have to participate in this ministry.
Some of our hopes for the year 2012 include:
1. A new and easy way to make your sponsorship donations. Take a look at our online donation link www.uppc.org/serve/serve-the-world and see if it might work for you.
2. A visit from one or more of our HOPE Guardians - It was almost 5 years ago that Elijah was able to come and meet with us. Watch for more details of visitors from Meru. If visas are granted and funds are raised, we will be able to pull this off. Right now the possible dates are in late July and early August.
3. We are exploring ways of helping HOPE as they move forward to establish a rescue center. The sponsorship ministry has children who are in need of stable, loving homes. Living with a willing neighbor may be an answer to prayer but it is not necessarily a long term solution. There are also children who are being cared for by elderly grandparents. HOPE would like to add a branch to their ministry which could serve to fill this need. Some seed money has been donated and the planning process is moving forward. CHERISH will continue to focus on the sponsorship ministry but will pray that we might discern our role in this new branch as it will serve some of our children.
4. We also are beginning to learn of the paths of several of our graduates. We hope to use some of these young people as possible resources for those who will soon graduate. As we find some of our former students are now in the university, trade school or employed in the village, we are beginning to find ways to use their expertise to inspire and guide those who are planning for their future.
5. Again, we constantly work to improve communications with our sponsored children and their families. We learn of drought that some are suffering and the inflation that is affecting their cost of living. We encourage you to write and ask questions.
We look forward to your continued support and sharing with the families of Meru. Please keep checking the blog and email or call with any questions.
Pray for this ministry as we move forward into another year of partnership and service.
Karen Lau, CHERISH Facilitator